Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sunday Sweets - Life's Ups and Downs

It's not fair! How many times do you hear that in a week?

I hear it at least once a day from my kids. 

And you know what? They're right. Life's not fair. 

It can be pretty crappy sometimes. 


We all have experienced the up and downs of life. And, at times, I'm sure we're tempted to scream, "IT'S NOT FAIR!" It's during those times that this particular scripture comes to my mind.

"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes."

~D&C 121:7-8

I love this scripture. It reminds me to hang in there, because the not-so-fun moments in life won't last forever. It also encourages me to remember my blessings and to look on the bright side of things. I know that last part is often easier said than done when you're right in the middle of one of life's many tests.

Now, I realize my last couple of Sunday Sweets posts have been about having a happy attitude. Maybe it's because I need the reminders on a daily, weekly, and sometimes hourly basis. Maybe you do, too.


Hang in there! There is light at the end of the tunnel!


And, while you're hanging in there and you think you can't hang in there anymore, just remember this:


Chocolate always makes everything better. Don't you agree?


Ok, folks. Are you ready for the second part of Sunday Sweets? I know I am.

I made these little morsels of yumminess (is that even a word?) for our Geography Co-op class this past week. We've been studying Israel, and decided to have a Passover meal for our lunch. They're called Matzo Caramel Crunch, and let me tell you, they are SO good.

If you've never heard of Matzo before, here's a mini lesson. Matzo, Matza, or Matzah, is an unleavened bread traditionally eaten by Jews during the week-long Passover holiday, when eating chametz--bread and other food made with leavened grain is forbidden according to Jewish religious law. (Wikipedia)

Guess what? There's chocolate involved! Ready? Let's go.



Matzo Caramel Crunch

Ingredients:

Enough Matzos to cover the bottom of a jelly pan (I found them at our local Winn Dixie--Walmart didn't have them)
2 sticks of butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used sliced almonds that I toasted in the over for a few minutes.)
2 cups chocolate chips

Preparation:
1. Cover a large jellyroll pan or cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spray well with nonstick spray.
2. Lay matzos flat in the prepared pan. Be sure the entire bottom is covered with matzo, trimming them to the right size if needed.
3. Combine butter and sugar in a pot and heat to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Pour butter-sugar mixture over matzos. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes, watching carefully to prevent burning. (I didn't let mine go past 10 minutes.)
5. Sprinkle chocolate chips over hot brittle. Let the chocolate start to melt a little and then spread with a knife.
6. Top with nuts.
7. Refrigerate until set. (I had to put mine in the freezer for a few minutes to get it to firm up all the way.)
8. Break into pieces and serve.

These would be great for party treats, family home evening treats, or anytime treats. Enjoy!







1 comment:

April said...

I had some on Thursday and they were very, very good!